SR2: Cover, Catch, Forage Crops & Leys
£39 + VAT per hectare
Info & Benefits
Arguably the most important of all soil microbes for the support of commercial farming are mycorrhizal fungi. These fungi act as a vast secondary root system extending a crops access to water and nutrients by over 700 times.
The ideal time to build up mycorrhizal communities is during the planting of leys, cover, catch and forage crops. Particularly grasses and legumes are excellent hosts for mycorrhizal fungi and support the establishment of a robust fungal network. This benefits cover- as well as follow-on cash crops. Trials show improved nitrogen uptake by catch crops in association with AMF.
Research has shown increased crop performance when other biologicals such as plant growth promoting rhizobacteria (PGPR) are combined with a thriving mycorrhizal community.
SR2 is a dry granule and can be mixed with seeds during sowing, applied by broadcasting or via a suitable granular applicator. PlantWorks can offer advice on suitable systems. A range of seed sellers can also supply seed mixes pre-blended with SR2.
Plant growth promoting rhizobacteria (PGPR) have the ability to fix atmospheric nitrogen and unlock soil-bound phosphorus. They work in synergy with AMF, which transport nutrients to host plants. PGPR support a robust plant immune system for healthier crops and produce phytohormones such as auxins and cytocinins, aiding growth and development of plants.
- Establishes vast fungal network for follow on crops
- Increased availability and uptake of nitrogen and phosphorus
- Increased drought tolerance and water Use efficiency
- Improved crop quality and yield
- Improved resistance against pests and diseases
- Builds biologically active soils
Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (AMF) associate with 90% of all crop plants. By growing into the root, as well as accessing large areas of soil around the plant, these remarkable fungi effectively increase the uptake surface area of plant roots up to 700 times. Additionally plant defence mechanisms are improved by the partnership. Put simply, plants colonised by AMF are healthier and significantly more efficient at collecting water and nutrients from the soil.
- 10L ~ 10kg tubs
- Application Rate – 10L ~ 10kg/ha
- Granular formulation in fine or coarse grade
- Proprietary blend of UK cultivated arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (AMF) and plant growth promoting rhizobacteria (PGPR)
- AMF component contains active structures of 5 species at 100k propagules per Litre